How to Make Herbal Shampoos for Dogs to Repel Fleasby Yvette Sajem
Fleas are pesky, parasitic little creatures that enjoy nothing more than setting up housekeeping on your beloved dog. For your dog, fleas are a frustrating irritant. In fact, in some dogs fleas can cause severe allergic reactions and even anemia, so it's very important to protect your dog from infestation. Fortunately, you can make an herbal shampoo that repels fleas and provides all-natural, gentle cleansing.
Pour two cups distilled water into a saucepan. Add two tbsp. each dried lavender, peppermint leaves, rosemary and lemongrass.
Heat the herb/water mixture on medium to medium high heat. As soon as it begins to boil, remove it from the heat. Allow it to steep for 30 to 45 minutes.
Strain the herb/water mixture through a clean cheese cloth into a bowl. Hold the cheese cloth over the bowl and squeeze out any excess water. If the herb water is still warm, allow it to sit until it has reached room temperature.
Wash a clean glass jar with soap and hot water. Pour the herb water into the jar.
Add two cups all-natural apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup liquid castile soap and 1/2 cup 100 percent vegetable liquid glycerin. Close the lid of the jar tightly and shake the mixture vigorously to blend. Store in a cool, dark place.
Items You Will Need
- 2 cups distilled water
- 2 tbsp. dried lavender
- 2 tbsp. dried peppermint leaves
- 2 tbsp. dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp. dried lemongrass
- Cheese cloth
- Glass jar
- 2 cups all-natural apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
- 1/2 cup 100 percent vegetable liquid glycerin
- Although unlikely, if you notice any signs of allergic reaction in your dog (facial swelling, respiratory distress or digestive disturbance), discontinue use and call your veterinarian immediately.
- If your dog is on any type of oral or topical medication, consult your veterinarian before using an herbal shampoo.
- Keep the shampoo out of your dog's eyes, ears and mouth.
- Do not allow your dog to drink the bath water.
- www.sxc.hu, www.morguefile.com